My family LOVES energy bites! Not only are the delicious, They are packed with fiber, protein, and some sweetness. No refined sugars or processed gunk. I like that you can change the mix-ins to what sounds good or to what you have on hand.
We have made a couple of batches of these and packed them in our travel cooler for family trips. We will also pack deli meat, trail mix, cheese, fruits, and lots of water. When you have tasty snacks, you are less likely to grab something at a gas station or from a fast food joint.
I hope you enjoys these as much as we do!
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup of your choice of nut/seed butter
- 1/4 cup of flax seed, chia seed or mixed
- 1 cup honey (local-raw honey is the best!)
- Mix ins (choose 2-3. For you add more than two, you may need to increase the nut/seed butter and honey a little.) 1 cup shredded coconut, 1 cup chopped nuts, 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, 1 cup dried fruit, 2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
Warm up the nut/seed butter with the honey until combined and thinned. In a bowl add oats and mix-ins of choice (wait if adding chocolate chips- they will melt down). Stir in butter/honey mixture until combined (you should be able to scoop out balls with a mini scooper). If it isn’t sticking enough add some more nut/seed butter. Mix in chocolate chips (if wanted).
On a cookie sheet lined with parachment paper, scoop out the mixture with a mini scoop. Refrigerate for about an hour and transfer to a container. Keep refrigerated.
*warrning these are highly addictive. If your husband is anything like mine, they won’t last two days!